Yes, It is as easy as it sounds!
Most of you do wonder how the chef at your favorite eatery always prepare meals with less effort and at same time giving it a constant great taste without any difference from the previous ones you have eaten. Well, if you are one of those then wonder no more.
In this article we would be learning how to prepare Ofe Ugba the popular Igbo dish not just cooking ooo but cooking it like a pro. So get your cooking utensils ready why we shoot.
Ofe UgbaPrint Recipe
- Beef ½ kg
- Smoked fish - 1 medium size
- Stockfish (cooked) - 4 medium size
- Pumpkin leave [also known as Ugu] - 1 small bunch
- Fermented African Oilbean Seed [also known as Ugba] - 6 wraps
- Onion - 1 small size
- Okro - 20 medium fingers
- Dry pepper (grounded) - 1 tablespoon
- Potash - a small piece
- Palm oil - 2 cooking spoons
- Spicy - 3 Cubes
- Water - 2 litres
- Salt - 1 cooking spoon > to taste
Before you start cooking
- Rinse all the vegetables and fish thoroughly. In most markets, dry fish and stockfish are displayed in the open hence may contain dust and sometimes fine sand which may ruin the sweetness of your delicious dish and may also lead to unwanted health issues. So wash these very well and rinse with with plenty of water.
- Soak the stockfish for a few minutes and clean with a food brush.
- Soak the dry fish in cool or lukewarm water till soft. Clean, debone and break into pieces.
- Break the smoked fish into small pieces, debone and rinse.
- Grind the crayfish and the ogiri okpei with a dry mill.
- Cut the okra fingers into pieces. For the best Ofe Ugba, please do not blend the okra. You can grate it but hand cut is the best.
- Slice the onion into smaller pieces.
- Cut up the pepper into small chunks, you can grind it if you wish.
- Cut the garden egg leaves into smaller pieces.
- Place the stockfish in a pot, add some water in small amount and allow to boil.
- Top up when necessary because you want as little water as possible in the pot when done. I use a pressure pot to cook stockfish, softens in no time.
- When the stock fish is soft, use the cooking spoon to break it into small pieces.
- Add the dry fish, ugba, crayfish and ogiri okpei, pepper, onions, smoked fish, salt and palm oil.
- Cover the pot and continue cooking on high heat. Stir often so it does not burn.
- After about 5-7 minutes, add the leafy-green vegetable/Ugu and okra, then stir and add salt as you stir if necessary.
- Take the pot off the stove/oven and transfer to another container immediately so that the green vegetables stay green.
- Serve while its hot!
Ofe Ugba Ingredients
With all i have gathered so far on Ofe Ugba here is my final review concerning its importance and side-effects.
- Rich in vitamin A
- Lowers cholesterol
- Boost fertility
- It has a liver protecting effects
- Increases Blood Volume and Boost Immune System
- It has an hypoglycaemic (sugar reducing) effect. It is good for diabetics
- You might be at the risk of losing various nutrients if not consumed in a proper way.
- Good For People On Diuretic Drugs
- Could Cause Unwanted Weight Gain
- Not Safe For People With Low Blood Pressure
Get real time update about this post categories directly on your device, subscribe now.